Sunday 5 May 2013

Derby University, Buxton: Photoshoot 25th April 2013


Today I  visited the Catering Students at Derby University, Buxton with a view to taking some images of the restaurant session in full swing, with students preparing and serving a three course lunch.



I wanted the opportunity to take some images for my Assignment and to give the students and University some usable images for inclusion on the University website and in the student portfolios.

First year student preparing dessert



The students work in the kitchens and in the restaurant, front of house. serving the meals to the customers.











Starter of beef 


Students work together with the more experienced final year students assisting the new intake of first year students.


The kitchen was quite cluttered and dark -  I used on camera flash Ex430 II, to add light to the images, bouncing the light off the ceiling which was fairly low.
It was difficult to get action shots due to the placing of work area.




Third year catering student advising a first year student.








This image worked well as I was able to get in front of the student whilst he was preparing the vegetables.

I am still not happy with the overall quality of images and their content. In a professional studio, the food would be prepared specifically for the photograph and would not be expected to be eaten afterwards. This would enable the photographer and food stylist to get the composition and lighting set perfectly. There are also some techniques to food presentation which includes the use of additional methods to increase the desirability of the food.

I am having to work in professional working kitchens with clutter, steam and non professional models. The food has to go out immediately it is prepared to keep it hot and the presentation, whilst important, is nowhere near as precise as in a food photography shoot.

Despite writing to food photographers and requesting input at University, I do feel that I have missed this opportunity to really learn the behind the scenes fabric of food photography and my work therefore, at best will be not up to the standard and quality that I was hoping for when I embarked on this assignment.




\

No comments:

Post a Comment